Monday, April 11, 2011

A Growing Interest...

I had been toying with a subject for my research project over the past three months. I knew I wanted to go in an artistic direction - perhaps something with my scrapbooking or stamping obsession - but I had yet to pick a topic...

A couple of years ago I was introduced to street art. I had a love/hate relationship with this artistic medium. I loved the art itself. The sometimes quirky, sometimes politically charged, and sometimes downright beautiful images appealed to my multifarious taste in art. But, I had difficulty with the medium itself. Most street art is exhibited illegally. Most owners of buildings, signs, walls, and bridges do not choose to have an art form exhibited on their property. The art may in fact make the otherwise ugly building, sign, wall or bridge look better, but that lack of choice in the matter bothered me.

I was reminded again of street art last week when I watched the documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop" (which I will elaborate upon in a future posting). The passion and dedication of the street artists touched me in a profound way and hence, I found I had finally chosen a WISE project topic. I wanted to learn more about why these people found such joy in posting their stickers around town or painting their feelings on a wall that would soon fade in the sun. Why create something that will not last?

These questions along with many others will frame the rest of my journey into this topic. I hope that you enjoy coming along with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment